Friday 9 March 2012

Glamourie Event Allure Leah Capaldi a performance work alongside film screenings Thursday 8 March, 6.30-9pm

Having attended the recent Glamourie event at PSL, Anthony Clavane in conversation with John Lake, it had sparked my interest for this series of interactive evenings being hosted by the gallery. Running slightly late I headed down the Allure for about 7pm, I was slightly unaware as to what to expect as the description had left it slightly open to interpretation. However it was the film screening element which interested me. Working with film in my own practice, it is great to see how other artists are engaging with the process.

I walked into a slightly quieter than expected event, but nonetheless there seemed to have been a slight change to the work that was already being exhibited there. As there were films now being projected around the art pieces. Probably a misread on my part as I was under the impression it was going to be a performance. Perhaps my own nativity but I was thinking more along the lines of a live art piece.

As I entered the gallery there was a distinct yet pleasant smell which I was unsure what it was or where it was coming from. I decide to let my senses guide me around this event. Heading towards the main space, where the continuous exhibition is being hosted, there were two films being screened, Dinner at Eight (1933) and The Subterraneans (1960). The idea being that these films would touch on the subjects of glamour and seduction but with that uncomfortable darkness to them. The films were the sort which you never feel quite right watching, but yet you can’t stop and walk away.

I had a quick glance at these two but wanted to find where the smell was coming from, and also the third and final film. Attached the main gallery space is a good sized separate room, and this is where the over powering aroma was. This was also where the third film was, Society (1989). It was the smell filling the room which kept me there more so than the film, but nevertheless I took a seat and started watching. Being drawn into the story of the film, I began to relax, but the aroma was so intense that I can smell it now even writing this review the next day. The use of the sense of smelling in art is one which you don’t find very often. I imagine that it becomes the point, that as the viewer you are meant to associate the artists’ choice of smell with certain objects, feelings and in this case the film. If I do ever watch Society again, that will be the association for me. Having watched a good length of the film and interacted with the smell, I wanted to take the chance to have a look at the other films.

The other films, although appropriately touching on the subjects, glamour and seduction, left me feeling quite different as they did not have any smells to accompany them. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay to see the films all the way through, yet I still managed to get a good sense of what I feel was trying to be achieved. For me, it seemed as if the Capaldi, almost wanted the viewer to have a full body experience with the films. I say this because of the smell element. It wasn’t a novelty factor that the smell was meant to represent what was on the film, it seemed more personal to the artist. Almost as if by engaging with the smell, the film became more attractive and appealing to the viewer because of the artists input. The room as well became more relaxed and intimate rather than being the usual space which is occupied by a film.

The evening itself was different to what I was initially expecting. However the films on show could be engaged with as film pieces, but the addition of the smell for Society definitely changed my perspective. If the use of aromas in art works if done well it can really alter what the viewer is seeing or how they leave feeling. Capaldi certainly does attempt to give the viewer a new experience within the classic film screening in art galleries, by one key element, a personal touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment